Friday, June 26, 2015

Welcome 2015-2017 ITOC Vice Chair: Michon!!


Image: Michon Shaw, a Black woman, wearing a light blue blouse, a braided pearl necklace and dangle earrings is signing in front of a tan color wall.

English Version:
Hello! Hi, I'm Michon Shaw. I'm from Tampa, Florida. I was born and raised here in Florida. In 2006, I graduated from the University of Southern Florida's (USF) Interpreter Training Program. Since that time, I have been working as an interpreter with 6 years in the VRS setting. While VRS is a wonderful field to work in, I wanted more, so I made the decision to return to school.

 
Now I am a graduate student and I have an expected graduation date of Dec 2015. I am studying interpreting pedagogy. That means that I am taking courses to become an interpreter educator. Specifically, in the college setting, for interpreter training programs. It's something that I am excited about.

 
I'm also excited about the future of ITOC. Yes! I know it will be a good one! Thank you for selecting me to be your Vice Chair. I am excited because I can envision us coming together and having a collaborative discussion about our field. Of primary importance, ITOC needs to think about how we can grow our membership. Also, we need to discuss the current state of the field. If you look around, there's not that many interpreters and transliterators of color. Right?! There's not many. And yes, while there are some areas that have more interpreters of color than others, there's not many of us. I want to see us sit down and figure out how we can help our field grow, with more interpreters and transliterators of color.

That's my goal.

So, do we need to go into high schools, and grab high school students and encourage them to take ASL classes? Maybe. The point is, let's come together, discuss and figure out what we, the ITOC members... what can WE do?

I look forward to meeting you soon. Take care, bye bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment